Skip navigation
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repository.iitr.ac.in/handle/123456789/16005
Title: Sensitivity of elastic properties to fabric heterogeneity in carbonate rocks
Authors: Sharma R.
Prasad M.
Batzle M.
Vega S.
Published in: Proceedings of Society of Petroleum Engineers - SPE/DGS Saudi Arabia Section Technical Symposium and Exhibition 2011
Abstract: Carbonate reservoirs hold more than 60% of the world's total remaining oil and 40% of gas reserves (Schlumberger, 2007). With recovery factor averaging around 25-30%, these reservoirs still have substantial amount of trapped hydrocarbons. The primary reason for this poor exploitation of reserves in carbonate stems from the fact that it is challenging to characterize storage and flow properties in these reservoir. Carbonate rocks are known to exhibit depositional and developmental processes (EOR flooding) related heterogeneity. Diagenetic processes like dissolution and precipitation in presence of certain fluid types such as: brine, may have drastic effects on the matrix properties (Eberli, 2003). Diagenesis can trigger heterogeneous distribution of petrophysical properties that may lead to heterogeneous saturation and elastic property distribution. We present our analysis on sensitivity of heterogeneity in carbonate fabric to time-lapse flow and elastic properties variation. We found that at full (end point) saturation, the most heterogeneous sample imbibed 20% less brine than the least heterogeneous sample. Also, at full saturation, the least heterogeneous sample showed 45% more increase in normalized bulk modulus and 10% more decrease in normalized shear modulus than the most heterogeneous sample. Finally comparing our measurements and Gassmann predictions, it seems that these carbonates mainly exhibit patchy saturation. © Copyright 2011, Society of Petroleum Engineers
Citation: Proceedings of Society of Petroleum Engineers - SPE/DGS Saudi Arabia Section Technical Symposium and Exhibition 2011, (2018), 979- 986
URI: http://repository.iitr.ac.in/handle/123456789/16005
Issue Date: 2018
Publisher: Society of Petroleum Engineers
Keywords: Carbonates
Carbonation
Elastic moduli
Elasticity
Oil well flooding
Proven reserves
Sedimentary rocks
Carbonate reservoir
Carbonate rock
Diagenetic process
Elastic properties
Flow properties
Heterogeneous distributions
Petrophysical properties
Recovery factors
Sensitivity analysis
ISBN: 9781613991398
Author Scopus IDs: 55685389800
7201465535
6602546098
7005427195
Author Affiliations: Sharma, R., SPE, Colorado School of Mines, United States
Prasad, M., Colorado School of Mines, United States
Batzle, M., SPE, Colorado School of Mines, United States
Vega, S., Petroleum Institute, United Arab Emirates
Funding Details: We express out sincere thanks to DHI consortium at UH and CSM and the Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi for their financial support. We also thank Center for Rock Abuse at CSM for lab facilities and valuable technical discussion.
Appears in Collections:Conference Publications [ES]

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Show full item record


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.